If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cowgirl Creamery

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

That's what I want to shout each time I walk into Cowgirl Creamery, the brand-new cheese shop only three blocks from my office. Incredibly nice, friendly, and informative service? Check. Offers to taste as many delicious cheeses as you like? Check. Cartons of chocolate milk for sale? Check. (Not sure why this last one makes me so happy, but it does.)

On my first visit, I exhibited restraint. I tasted five or six different cheeses, but limited myself to the Mt. Tam (an amazingly decadent triple-cream), the Pug's Leap goat cheese (which was perfect atop a summer salad), and the Ticklemore (can't remember its description... I fell for this one on tasting it, and kinda like the name too).

But I walked in today, and threw caution to the wind. First I tasted their McEvoy olive oil - delicious! If I didn't already have a bottle of French olive oil from my friend's recent trip to Europe in the house, this would have been the first addition to my empty shopping basket. But not to worry, the basket wasn't empty for long. A taste of the fig and nut bread compelled me to pick some up to go with my leftover Mt. Tam and Ticklemore. But not just the leftover cheeses -- I picked up the St. Pat (Cowgirl's seasonal springtime cheese wrapped in stinging nettle leaves that has an almost artichoky taste -- go! now! before they run out of this spring's batch!) and the Oregonzola (silly name, but creamy delicious blue cheesiness that will be wonderful on the burgers we're grilling tonight). And oh! I hadn't had lunch yet, and the goat cheese, sundried tomato, and olive sandwich on a fresh baguette was tempting.

And did I mention that carton of chocolate milk? Yum.

Cowgirl Creamery
919 F Street, NW
202-393-6880

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home