If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Colorado Kitchen

So I've gotta say... I'm a Colorado Kitchen brunch lover, but my experience a few weeks ago was disappointingly so-so. For the first time, I branched out from my standard shrimp and grits (my favorite rendition of that old favorite in the DC area), and went the crabcake benedict route. And the branching out was a mistake. Next time I go, I'll have to return to the tried and true.

First, the good. Really, the extraordinary. Those donuts. I love those donuts. I dream about those donuts. I can't decide whether I like the powdered sugar ones or the nuts and honey ones best, it probably isn't even a decision I need to make. It always surprises me that my least favorite is the chocolate -- but maybe it's that the milk chocolate doesn't stand up to the deliciousness of the donut as well as rich dark chocolate might. Hmmm...

But the benedict. You know, the crabcakes were nicely spiced, full of chunks of crab, resting on top of a thin slice of tomato, and a crunchy English muffin. But they were covered with a liberal helping of a hollandaise sauce that reminded me of... well... concentrated melted butter. It was so heavy and buttery that I found it impossible to finish, and the dish was overwhelmed.

I did snag a bite of my +1's fried catfish, though, and it was fabulous. Chef works wonders with all things (donuts, catfish...) fried.

Colorado Kitchen
5515 Colorado Avenue, NW
202-545-8280

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home