If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Komi

Before last week, I had never enjoyed a five hour dinner that felt like two. How were we there for five hours? The food kept coming, our wine glasses kept being refilled. We saw a family celebrating the son's acceptance into law school, a couple celebrating their upcoming move to Tunisia -- both tables came and went, and still we ate... drank... enjoyed.

Before last week, I didn't know that simple olives could taste so good; that house-made crackers could have such subtle and deep flavors. That mascarpone stuffed dates -- I don't have the words. That pappardelle with goat ragu with a hint of cinnamon could be a new favorite (and accompanied by that Greek red wine, the one whose name I can't remember, but that our server said was an ancestor of pinot noir, and that I said was delicious). That the flavors and textures of baklava could be expressed so beautifully in gelato. That beignets sometimes go better with chocolate mascarpone cream.

Before last week, I had never experienced Komi. And after last week, I know I need to experience it again, and soon.

Komi
1509 17th Street, NW
202-332-9200

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home