If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Catching up...

Wow, I am weeks behind on updating you guys on what we've been learning to cook at LCB! I guess Jackie's prediction that I'd be too busy having fun to blog is coming true! So let's catch up...

(I'm not even really in the mood to blog today. Am fighting off a cold and feel a little foggy. But I got an email from a friend asking me to post ... and since she could really use a smile today, I'm writing. Anything to distract her and make her day a little better...)

So, let me tempt you all with the food we've been cooking here in Paris!

A few weeks ago, we manned the grill for the first time. Unfortunately, it was to make grilled salmon. I'm sure it was quite good, as far as grilled salmon goes, but I'm a "the rarer the better" girl when it comes to salmon -- wave it near the heat and onto the plate it goes. So tossing a salmon steak on the grill for a few minutes was sort of like heresy to me. But I did it, and chef even commented on how good my grill marks were! (Yes, dad, they were on the bias...) The fish was served with an emulsified butter/chive sauce (underneath, never on top of, the fish -- show off those gorgeous grill marks!) and spinach.

We also made pommes Byron that day -- shown here with the roasted herb-crusted pork the chef made in demo -- a tasty little well of potatoes filled with bechamel sauce and gruyere, and baked. These were delicious (although I think I'm still a purist and would be just as happy with pommes purees) ... and even better reheated later in the week! In fact, my first dinner guest loved them when I served them that night, along with roast chicken and turned artichokes!

Funny story about the pommes Byron ... their shape is achieved by filling a piping bag with your potato mixture and piping the potatoes into a well (to be filled with bechamel and cheese). I had never used a piping bag before, and was having a bit of a hard time getting any control over where the potatoes were going on my parchment paper! Chef came over, took one look, and asked "gauche, ou doit?" When I told him I was right-handed, he laughed, and switched my piping bag to the correct hand. Sure enough, I got more control over it when I was using my dominant hand! (Melina, you have my permission to laugh and make fun of me...)

By the way, that was a great day in demo, because not only did we get to sample the salmon, spinach, pork, and potatoes, but Chef also made dessert. My sister's favorite (and boy, would she love this recipe ... I know what I'll be making the first time I visit in San Antonio, although maybe Josh can make the ice cream)!


So much more to write, but this is a good start, right? Maybe I'll regale you all with stories from forcemeat week later tonight...

1 Comments:

Blogger The Reluctant Leader said...

Thank you.

5:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home