If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

And it was evening, and it was morning - the first day

I could really get used to the rhythm of life around here... I know, I've been here barely a day, but the verdict at the end of day one? Pas mal!

After filing my "Property Irregularity Report" with the bureau of lost luggage, I hopped onto a bus to the Arc de Triomphe (which, contrary to one Washingtonian's opinion, you can only drive around, not through!). Turned on my iPod and watched out the window as I approached the city I'll call home for the summer. That's when the realization that I'm actually here hit. For the first time since I went to Chicago for law school, I'm someplace where I know no one, but intend to develop a life. My last week in Washington, that thought was terrifying. My first day in Paris, it was exhilarating.

From the Arc de Triomphe, I took a cab to the apartment I'll call home for my first week here. My cab driver engaged me in a conversation, and I happily realized that my French is coming back. Slowly, but surely...

After dropping my stuff at home (see the view of the courtyard from my window at right), I ventured out to explore the 'hood. There's not much written in tour books about the 15th arrondissement, but it's a lovely residential area with parks (that's Square Adolph Cherioux below), shops, and a ton of different restaurants. In just a couple of hours walking around, I saw Lebanese, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Tunisian restaurants (in addition to bistrots and brasseries)!





I particularly liked the name of a salon de the nearby (you may have to click on the photo to read the awning)...



I found Le Cordon Bleu only a short walk away, and ventured into the grocery store to get basics (yay! I can shop in French!)

At this point, I realized I was hungry. So I began looking for a simple bistrot or brasserie -- I was still feeling the effects of flying, and being delayed, and being without luggage, and just wanted simplicity. After passing by one place where all of the patrons were speaking English, and another where the menu was translated into English, I happened upon chez moi ou chez toi (21, rue Mademoiselle 75015 Paris; tel: 01 48 56 00 87), a charming little place done in dark wood and shades of deep red, with jazz playing in the background. Fake daisies on the table and a funky red chandelier added a quirky touch. My friendly server chatted with me in French about Washington (he has a friend who went to Georgetown), and, when he dropped off the basket of bread, warned me "le pain est tres bon ... et tres chaud"! (He was right on both counts.)

Had a lovely meal of salade de crepes de chevre (bibb lettuce lightly dressed in a slightly sweet oil and vinegar, topped with chevre-filled crepes that had been quickly sauteed to warm and crisp them) and pave de boeuf avec pommes de terre (beef with a roquefort sauce, and sauteed potatoes). With a quart (that's a quarter-liter, not a quart!) of table wine, I was soon pleasantly full and sleepy, with no room for dessert.

Continued exploring the neighborhood on Sunday by wandering over to l'Ecole Militaire. I found the mask accompanying the cavalry entrance puzzling...


Wandered through the Parc du Champ de Mars, between the Eiffel Tower and l'Ecole Militaire. Not surprisingly, it reminded me of the Washington Mall. A photo of the cute carousel in the park (and the obligatory Eiffel Tower shot)...

On a friend's recommendation, I walked over to the market street of rue Cler. What a fun and bustling place! I stopped into a patisserie for a baguette (and a pain au chocolat -- I couldn't resist!), and a fromagerie (can you tell what I had for dinner tonight??) My cheese choices (for those of you who are playing along at home) were chaource (a cow's milk cheese from the Aube region) and bouca (a goat's milk cheese with a charcoal-covered rind). Both delicious, but I slightly preferred the bouca (as I knew I would, I'm a sucker for goat cheeses).

Still no luggage ...


(Get it? Suffren? Sufferin'? Oh, I crack myself up...)

I may be jetlagged, and wearing the same clothes since Friday, but that doesn't mean I can't look good!!!







1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren Petron said...

I'm so jealous of your adventure! I love the pictures and hope you'll keep posting more.

3:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home