If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Highs and lows on the eve of departure

So, I've been getting pretty excited about this whole summer in Paris thing. Look at me, moving someplace new on my own, doing something I've long dreamed of doing, making it happen!

And everything has been falling into place during the days leading up to my departure ... spent an afternoon watching Sabrina and drinking Bordeaux with a very close friend, dreaming of the walks I'll take along the Seine, the cafes and bistros I'll stop into when the spirit moves me. Had dinner last night at a lovely French restaurant, where the friendly Parisian maitre d' invited me to return this afternoon to get tips for my trip. I am nervous, but things are coming together.

Or at least I thought they were, until I woke up this morning. To find an email from the woman whose apartment I am subletting. Or should I say, the woman whose apartment I thought I was subletting ...

Apparently her toilet broke. And her landlord says he can't fix it until July. (Does anybody else find this a bit disturbing??) And she wouldn't feel right subletting me a place without a toilet.

Um, right. I wouldn't feel right renting a place without a toilet, either!

So now I'm getting on a plane tomorrow, and don't have an apartment for the summer. Right. (Fortunately, I have another place lined up for the first week, so nobody panic. I won't be homeless til 16 June...)

When are things going to start falling into place again??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home