If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

It's about the people, Part IV

It's only fitting that I should say farewell to my friend G, as he moves across the country, in the same way we became friends five years ago -- over food.

G's not one of my "food friends" -- he and I share common roots (southerners born and bred!), went to the same law school, and have worked together for a large part of our careers. (If I didn't know better, I'd worry that I might pick up and move across the country in the next year or two, just to keep our streak of things in common going.) But what cemented our friendship wasn't any of these things, it was our very first conversation, almost exactly five years ago.

I had just moved to Lafayette, Louisiana, to spend a year clerking for a judge. I was replacing G, and he and I had a few days of overlap for him to show me the ropes. But after a few minutes of learning the ins and outs of the computer system, and how the judge runs his chambers, I had to ask the important question: where can I get good food down here?

G's quickness to answer, and the enthusiasm with which he made so many suggestions, told me I had found a friend. Did I want Thai food? Skip the locals' favorite, and go to Mae Sone Noodle House, the tiny hole-in-the-wall run by an immigrant family. Middle Eastern? Try Cedar Grocery, the carry-out/grocery within walking distance of the courthouse. Biscuits? Check. Meat and three? Check. Po-boys? Olde Tyme Grocery makes the best ones in town, if not in the whole state. Anyone who could rattle off this many varied suggestions (in a small town not known for its culinary variety) was a winner in my book.

So when G suggested I join the group heading to dinner the next night at what he termed one of the best restaurants in the area, I accepted without hesitation. And thus, over barbecued shrimp, crawfish cornbread, gumbo, and etouffee (not to mention a tasty slice of chocolate pecan pie), a friendship was born.

During my year in Lafayette, I'd call G for restaurant suggestions throughout southern Louisiana, as I explored the region. He'd give them, and express jealousy at the good meals he was missing. When I moved to DC, we shared our favorite food finds here... and regularly reminisced about our Lafayette favorites.

So this week, I guess it was only fitting that we bid him farewell over soju, kimchi, mandoo and bulgogi at Han Sung Oak, home of some of the best Korean food I've had outside of Korea.

And as I told G the next day, the one good thing about him moving to Phoenix is that I now have another city in which I can eat well when I visit!

Mae Sone Noodle House
4807 Johnston Street
Lafayette, LA
337-406-0850

Cedar Grocery
1115 Jefferson Street
Lafayette, LA
337-233-5460

Edie's
1895 W. Pinhook Road
Lafayette, LA
337-234-2485

Dwyer's Cafe
323 Jefferson Street
Lafayette, LA
337-235-9364

Olde Tyme Grocery
218 W. St. Mary Boulevard
Lafayette, LA
337-235-8165

Cafe des Amis
140 E. Bridge Street
Breaux Bridge, LA
337-332-5273

Han Sung Oak
6341 Columbia Pike
Falls Church, VA
703-642-0808

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home