If thinking about food is your pastime, Food for Thought is for you!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

It's about the people, Part III

Who would've thought that food would serve to remind me that I'm smart?

I used to know I was smart. As smart as anyone else out there. Maybe smarter, even.

Then I went to law school. At a place full of really smart people. And for the first time, I questioned my smarts. Nothing was coming as easily any more. I had to work hard, really hard, just to keep up. But I did work hard, and I did keep up. And I graduated, believing even more that I was smart, as smart as anyone else out there -- because now I had faced a real challenge, and succeeded.

A few years as an associate at BigLawFirm, though, rid me of that knowledge. A combination of factors (analyzed well in this article) chased me out of BigLawFirm, and (fortunately) into a far more satisfying legal career. But they also left me feeling as if I wasn't smart enough to cut it in BigLaw. As someone else expressed it, “It affects your self-esteem. You start wondering if you are not a good lawyer. You internalize it.”

And internalize it I did. I questioned my abilities as a lawyer, and, by extension, my intellect. I grew tentative to voice my legal theories, doubting their soundness. My confidence was shaken, and the years between myself and my BigLawFirm life weren't enough to rebuild it.

But sharing a bottle of wine with some food friends this weekend was.

There I was, listening to my friends talk about wine, a subject about which they are passionate (and ridiculously knowledgeable). We engaged in what L calls the "Socratic method of learning about wine," in which I listen and try to understand everything they say, and ask questions when I don't. And I loved it. Always the student, I learn at every turn, even when enjoying a glass of wine in the warm post-midnight breeze on a roof high above the District.

And then, somehow, the conversation turned to L's theory of constitutional law. And I don't know whether it was the late hour, my comfort level with these folks, or a little too much delicious red wine, but the light bulb went off. You know, the light bulb that, if I lived in a comic strip, would pop up over my head and say in a thought bubble "A-HA! I know something about this, and what I have to say is intelligent. BigLawFirm shook my confidence, but no more! I will expound on the law!"

Or something like that.

So expound I did, and we had a fascinating and intellectually stimulating conversation about constitutional law and the role of law in organized society. And I remembered, finally, that I was smart. Thanks to people outside of my profession, who I would never know, were it not for a shared love of food.

L probably didn't give that conversation one more moment's thought after he left the roof that night. So he probably has no idea the impact it had on me. Someday, over a good bottle of wine, I'll have to thank him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home